Tax Tip: Uncle Sam Will Be Looking for Your Cryptocurrency Trades

If you traded a stock, bond, mutual fund or another investment — including cryptocurrencies — listen up.

You should have received a Form 1099-B – Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions that reports your trades.  Whether you get a hard copy or an email saying its available look at it, because these things have been known to have errors. You need this form when you sit down to prepare your tax return (if you haven’t already!) and you want it to be accurate.

Just know this — you probably are not going to get a 1099-B for your cryptocurrency trades.

And yet — they still need to be reported or you risk a knock on the door from Uncle Sam.

Watch this video to hear why.

Be sure to follow me @tracybyrnes for more tax tips this season.

And for more tax tips, subscribe to our YouTube channel here:


Or watch more Tax Tips here:

60 Seconds: Uncle Sam Wants a Piece of Your Powerball Wins

Video: Bonuses Are Great But Where Are The Actual Wage Increases?

Tax Reform: Good for the Gig Economy, Bad for High Tax States (Video & Podcast)

Video: What Is Ripple?

60 Seconds: Here’s How Your Paycheck Will Change Thanks to the New Tax Law




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.